Nagpur: In a sensational turn of events in the open court on Friday, Justice Rohit Deo has reportedly announced that he has resigned and left the dais amid ongoing proceedings.
Before leaving the dais, Justice Deo reportedly said to the present lawyers, ‘If my strictness has bothered you and if one feels that I haven’t done enough to ensure justice prevails, then I feel that I should resign!'” He said, according to persons who were present during the proceedings.
The judge, who is sitting in the Nagpur bench of the High Court, had been on the bench that discharged Professor GN Saibaba in the Maoist links case last year before the Supreme Court suspended the same.
More recently, a bench led by Justice Deo stayed the effect of a government resolution empowering the Maharashtra government to cancel punitive proceedings initiated against contractors working on the Samrudhhi Expressway project.
Justice Deo was elevated to the High Court bench in 2017. He was the State’s Advocate General before his appointment as a judge. He has also served as the Additional Solicitor General at the Nagpur bench of the High Court.
He was due to retire from the office of High Court judge on December 4, 2025.